Fri, 11 Feb|
MNPC-Breathworks Mindfulness for Stress 8 week online course
A unique 8 week course only for People of Colour/BAME, based on the esteemed Breathworks "Mindfulness for Stress" course.
Time & Location
11 Feb 2022, 10:00 – 07 May 2022, 12:00
About The Event
MNPC-BREATHWORKS MINDFULNESS FOR STRESS 8 WEEK ONLINE COURSE
Taught by Shazia Chaudhry and Supported by Zanubia Zafeera
On the MNPC-Breathworks Mindfulness for Stress course, you will learn Mindfulness skills to cope with stress, depression, fear, and anxiety, within a supportive and friendly group setting, and with expert teachers. No previous experience of Mindfulness is required.
The course will teach you how to boost your happiness and wellbeing; and find new sources of resilience, joy, and calm in your life.
Mindfulness practice is scientifically evidenced to reduce stress, anxiety and depression; and improve wellbeing and life satisfaction.
The MNPC-Breathworks Mindfulness for Stress Course is a unique secular programme specifically for, and taught by, People of Colour: Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic individuals. Through this we offer a special space, that is not only supportive of POC, it also enables the richness and diversity of the experiences and perspective of POC to bring fresh insights to the evolving global understanding of Mindfulness.
By creating a specific, exclusive and safe space for People of Colour to practice mindfulness, it is hoped that the MNPC-Breathworks Mindfulness for Stress course will enable participants to:
- Turn healthily and productively towards the suffering of racism and discrimination that they have experienced.
- Understand better any trauma they carry
- Recognise, that we are all connected through our experience of common humanity
- Allow themselves to safely be vulnerable, and open their heart to find a way to heal, and truly come home to themselves, through enquiry and a focus on self-compassion
MNPC is delighted to collaborate with the Breathworks organisation to create this exceptional new course.
What Will I Learn?
- The skill of Mindfulness meditation
- Mindfulness and Self-Compassion skills in your daily life
- Greater concentration and focus
- How breath and body awareness can transform stress
- Supportive Mindful Movement practices
- The art of taking joy in simple pleasures
- How to overcome the brain's inherent ‘negativity bias’: its dominating tendency to focus on the potential threats of any experience
- The many health benefits of Mindfulness.
This is an entirely secular 8 week programme based on 2 weekly class hours and daily home practice. It involves:
- Short guided meditative practices that are evidenced as effective in reducing stress and anxiety
- Other practical group exercises and presentations
- Group Discussion - sharing of individual experiences of the practice is evidenced to develop insight, understanding and a sense of solidarity, particularly as People of Colour
- Mindful Movement: these are designed to be inclusive of people who may have limited movement capacity; as well as designed for adaptation to each person's specific needs
- Daily home practice work assignments to cultivate Mindfulness in Daily Life situations
While Mindfulness practice is scientifically evidenced to reduce stress, anxiety and depression; as well as improve wellbeing and life satisfaction, this course should not be considered a substitute for any existing mental health treatment. Mindfulness practice is also contraindicated for some people. If you have any concerns in this regard, please discuss with a doctor or other appropriate health professional.
THE PROGRAMME in 2021 and 2022
The course will be trialled in October 2021. Then, from 2022, we are aiming to offer the full course twice year; the first starting in February and the second in October. Taster sessions will also be offered.
MNPC-Breathworks Mindfulness for Stress Test course
N.B. The course begins in UK summer time UTC+1 and, after the clocks change, moves to UTC+0, from November 5.
Participation is free.
If you are interested to apply, can commit to the entirety of the course, and are willing to give reflective feedback to support programme development,
N.B. This course will not offer any formal certification and at this point cannot be used toward Breathworks teacher training qualification
On Friday 4 February, 2022, 10:00-11:00, we will be offering a free taster session for anyone who would like to get a better understanding of the course.
MNPC-Breathworks Mindfulness for Stress 8 week online course
This is the full course.
Session 1: Friday 18 February, 10:00-12:00 UK Time, UTC+0
Session 2: Friday 25 February, 10:00-12:00 UK Time, UTC+0
Session 3: Friday 4 March, 10:00-12:00 UK Time, UTC+0
Session 4: Friday 11 March, 10:00-12:00 UK Time, UTC+0
Session 5: Friday 18 March, 10:00-12:00 UK Time, UTC+0
Session 7: Friday 25 March, 10:00-12:00 UK Time, UTC+0
Session 8: Friday 1 April , 10:00-12:00 UK Time, UTC+1
Organisation Fee: £360 or Support us
Bursaries: We aim to offer a number of bursaries to those who are without the means to pay. See below for details.
Breathworks annual members: Free
Shazia Chaudhry Breathworks Coordinator
Shazia Chaudhry is an accredited Breathworks Mindfulness for Stress Teacher based in London. Shazia's Mindfulness journey began in in 2013, when she trained with the Mindfulness in School Project to become a Breathworks teacher. Shazia has delivered Mindfulness in schools to young people, teachers, social workers, foster carers, media-based organisations, and has also run community-based programmes.
Compassion and Kindness are at the heart of Shazia's practice: she would like us all to learn how to be kinder to ourselves and quieten the inner critic that most of us carry within us. Mindfulness has enabled Shazia to remain grounded: coming back to the body and breath. It has enabled her to manage her own levels of stress and anxiety.
- Course Book and practice booklets
- MP3 of meditations
We aim to offer up to 4 scholarships for each course to make it as accessible as possible to all People of Colour. If your financial/personal circumstances mean you are unable to pay the regular or concessionary prices, please write to us, fully detailing your situation. We will carefully consider all applications and aim to notify all applicants for the course starting 18 February 2022, by 1 February, if they have been successful.
The MNPC mission is to provide accessibility and transformational tools for People of Colour.
To register an interest in being a Sponsor to enable MNPC to continue to offer bursaries to People of Colour who otherwise could not access this course, please email us:
More about Breathworks: